MIAWPUKEK FIRST NATION POWWOW
Located on the South Coast of Newfoundland, the Miawpukek First Nation – Conne River is the only recognized Reserve on the island of Newfoundland.
Our annual powwow hosts traditional dancers, drummers, spiritual leaders, elders from across the Mi’kmaq Nation will converge on the most eastern Province to celebrate their traditions, culture, and spiritualism.
Along with many traditions and customs the entire region offers visitors the opportunity to explore the vast wilderness of the area.
Our powwow offers travelers, friends, and guests the opportunity to partake in activities and events such as; traditional dancing and chanting, sacred ceremonies, feasts, traditional food sampling, sharing of culture and traditions, making new friends, and renewing of old friends.
During this event, many traditional Mi’kmaq craft vendors display their talents in handmade arts and crafts. This event is sponsored by the Miawpukek First Nation, Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism, Coast of Bays, Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency, and Heritage Canada.
- Parking is available at the Powwow ground with special consideration for the elderly and disabled
- Most people dress in casual attire. Indigenous dress from any nation is welcome and respected.
- There are typically a number of food vendors. Food served ranges from traditional to fast food and sweets.
- The evening feast is open and free of charge for all visitors. The elderly and dancers and drummers are given priority. Please respect this.
- Traditional Crafts are available from local craftspeople. Conne River’s Glen John Arts and Crafts Centre will have a booth at the Powwow.
- Honourarium for Dancers and Drummers.
- Sunrise and Sweat Lodge Ceremonies.
- Campsites are available.
- 24/7 Security.
- Limited camping on site.
- Washrooms and showers are available.
- No ALCOHOL or DRUGS.
- Tent – $TBD per night.
- RV – $TBD per night.
- Travel Trailer – $10.00 per night.
- The nearest dumping station is located at Jipujij’kuei Kuespem Park, approximately 15 minutes from the Powwow grounds.
- There is No Electricity.
- Generators may be used until 11PM.
- Please Respect Mother Nature as well as your Neighbours.
- Powwow Booth – $100 per day.
- Your Own Booth/Tent – $75 per day.
- We prefer Traditional, Authentic, handmade crafts.
- No Carnival Type or Weapon like Merchandise.
- Electrical Hookup to our Generator is $25 per day for Vendors.
- – 709-882-2470 (Available from June until the Powwow)
- – 709-882-2470 (Available all year round)
Miawpukek Mi’kamawey Mawi’omi
50 Miawpukek Drive
P.O. Box 10
Conne River, NL A0H 1J0
Toll Free: 1-866-882-2470